Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Butch Chivalry in the Feminist Age; Or, Why I Started This Blog

If asked to define "butch gentleman," I couldn't do it concisely. Labels and language politics are such a point of contention with many people that I'm not particularly inclined to define either word. The definition is less important than the action itself. This blog is my attempt to determine a code of ethics to guide butch gentlemen in their personal interactions, professional lives, and self discovery.

I have gotten a lot of inspiration from The Art of Manliness. While the tone and language in the articles and comments there is not always exactly feminist, I frequently learn from and enjoy the topics posted. Cisgender men also need a space to discuss issues of gender, and I applaud AoM for creating that space. (Also, they have turned me on to some pretty bangin' luggage that I'm still drooling over.)

I started putting this blog into motion after reading A Butch Roadmap by Ivan Coyote, a piece that reminded me how much of my lifestyle and habits had to be self-taught. No one helped me learn to polish my shoes, or tie a tie, or how to treat a young woman with the respect she deserves when going out on a date. The art of the thank you note is essentially lost to my generation.

I aim to provide a place for butches and gentlemen (and the people who love them) to learn and discuss how to act the part of butch gentleman as a young adult in the 21st century. I plan to look back to discover what lessons we can learn from past generations as well as addressing issues of etiquette in the public sphere and my day-to-day life as it happens. There will also be sporadic discussion on issues of creating a personal style.

This blog does not have political aims, but a pro-feminist and pro-queer stance will be reflected in the tone of the articles written here. However, feminist and queer theory will only be mentioned in passing. If you're looking to supplement this blog with something heavier, check out the blogs listed in the sidebar (in order of most recent update). I welcome recommendations for new blogs I should be reading--feel free to offer them in comments below.

Welcome. I hope to hear from you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment